So, you have found a great (free) template (like one of these PowerPoint templates) that you want to use and have downloaded and opened it. But how do you keep it available as a template for future use?
The following instructions apply to PPT 2007 or later. If any readers want instructions for PPT 2003, they are here.
The 2007 and later templates are called ‘themes’ and have a .thmx file extension, and are typically stored in locations such as:
• C:’\\Program Files\\Microsoft Office\\Document Themes12 [14 if using Office 2010] or, if you are using Windows 7 32bit version:
• C:’\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Office\\Document Themes12
But there is an easy way to save an open presentation as a theme:
- Click the Design tab and expand the Themes Gallery
- Click ‘Save Current Theme’ which you will find at the bottom of the drop down pane. You should be in the Document Themes folder
- Make sure you give the theme a new name
- Click Save.
If you want to use it in future for a new presentation, you should find it shown in the Custom area of your Themes Gallery drop down.